Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Value of Tears

Hi folks. I'm just taking a break from the hell that is my Open Memo to bring you more ridiculous quotes from the internet.

NO man is worth your tears, but the one who is won't make you cry.

So let's begin here by pointing out the logic flaw.

If no man is worth your tears, then there cannot be one who is. It's impossible. If you were really going for some kind of reality here, you'd have to say, "only one man is worth your tears, and he won't make you cry."

Beyond that, though, there's a whole other issue here. Since when did people, particularly women, place a value on tear production? Furthermore, what kind of tears are we talking about? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure my mom has cried with pride a time or two when I've done something particularly nifty. Does this mean I wasn't worth her tears, since I made her cry?

So let's try this again.

Only one man is worth your tears of sorrow, and he won't make you cry those tears of sorrow.

Alright. At least in a logical sense, I'm nearly cool with this. But then I remember that people die. So, supposing you marry, you have at least 2, and quite possibly several men who you might cry for in your lifetime, since grampa, daddy, and hubby are all likely to die before you, you lucky female-types you.

Yeah, I think we're going to have to just toss the whole thing. Instead, let's return to a quote that is perfectly reasonable and correct in every circumstances.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

Now that's a quote I can really get behind.

6 comments:

v said...

lol.

KU Mommy said...

Sit down, Jake.

Anonymous said...

... Nobody puts baby in the corner... Yes, thanks for the laugh this morning!

Anonymous said...

Howard Zinn's books are awesome, and its times like this I wonder why I dont own one. I especially loved the one where I found out that some of the colonists had to turn to cannibalism to survive a harsh winter. How come we never learned that in high school history?

Anonymous said...

Uh, because we didn't spend but five minutes on colonists? I don't think it's a conspiracy.

Kathleen said...

Or because cannabalism might be too gruesome? We also didn't talk about how the Spanish priests and friars would round up Indians that they accused of homosexuality and threw them to the dogs...alive, of course, goes without saying or burned them alive...to be torn apart. Of course, we have only their word that they were actually gay (not that that should matter, right?) and I think some of it had to do with the Catholic Church trying to put down native religions. Ahh the Catholics...the religion that taught protestants how to hang or "press" witches