Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Physical Revocation

Wills may be revoked by physically destroying them using such methods as burning and tearing.

Other methods of Will revocation:

incinerating

vibrating to fragments

burying in the walls of Jericho

flushing

shaming it to an early death

laying a beat down on it in an exciting game of basketball or chess

leaving it in your jeans while you wash them

leaving it in your jeans while you take a crazy person shower

assumpsit

laying a really solid stink on it, so no one will want to approach

living in a lawless society

offending the will of Poseidon

and, finally, saying, "Talk to the hand."

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I have a question. Say I write a will that leaves my family $40 million. Now, technically, I don't have that much, I only have around fifty thousand or so. Is it illegal to fuck with them and let them see copies of the will that gives them a bunch of money, and then die and leave them, well, not a bunch of money. This would be really funny if you had odd relationships with your family.

Nathan said...

You should immediately assume that I probably don't know the answer to these things.

That said, I would guess there is nothing illegal in screwing around w/ your family. If this were some kind of contract you were showing them, I'd know the answer way better, but having to guess based one what I know...

I'd say that no one is an inheritor until you die, so a will is totally meaningless until that moment. Therefore, showing people a meaningless piece of paper is totally ok.

Anonymous said...

Ok I thought you had to have multiple copies of your will made because of the possibility of one getting destroyed and it not being found thusly? And if you do only have the one the I suppose burning it really would make it void.