Friday, August 11, 2006

Perfection is ignoring the blemishes

You know what I like to do occasionally? I enjoy trolling the dark depths of MySpace, because it gives me a chance to develop about a billion crushes at one time.

One interesting notion in psychology is the one that argues that attraction and love in general are based upon how high up in the world and our own estimations we can put a person. Thus, the unexpected results that the people who are happiest and most likely to be together 20 years down the line are also the people who are least aware of each other's shortcomings.

And that's what MySpace and Facebook and all of those things are all about, aren't they? They are about putting our best, zaniest, funniest, wackiest, cutest, most beautiful and handsome faces forward, and then pretending like all of our baggage doesn't exist.

I dig that.

In fact, I'd even suggest that part of establishing a new relationship is towing that tiny line, where we reveal bits of ourselves, but only enough bits to make the other feel comfortable and like they know us. The rest, the baggage, we save for later.

Anyway, as I was saying, I dig facebook and myspace, because on those pages are a thousand perfect women who are just real enough to seem amazing.

Edit (5 minutes later): I want to add something, but I don't know what. I'm suddenly feeling great, though. Really great. It makes me want to tell a joke I heard yesterday.

So there are these two penguins standing around on this drifting iceberg. The first penguin looks at the second penguin and says, "Say, you look really good today."

The second penguin says, "Thanks."

The first penguin replies, "No. I mean really good. If I didn't know better, I'd say you looked like you really were wearing a tuxedo!"

The second penguin pauses for a moment, then eyes the first penguin, suspiciously.

"... How do you know I'm not?"

2 comments:

KU Mommy said...

"In fact, I'd even suggest that part of establishing a new relationship is towing that tiny line, where we reveal bits of ourselves..."

I disagree. Why hide anything really? If you want someone to love you for who you are, then I say show them who you are right up front. I think my baggage makes up part of who I am... so it comes with me, you know? Plus, I think there comes a time when there's no use playing relationship games any longer. If it isn't right... you might as well find out right away so you can move the heck on.

Kathleen said...

Was that joke off of Prairie Home Companion, cause that was hilarious and it looks like a familiar one