Sunday, November 05, 2006

Safety Friend

I went to this birthday party at Quinton's in Lawrence yesterday and felt awkward just about the whole time.

A problem with trying to be friends with everyone is the situation in which you are at a social gathering where you aren't friends with anyone. Oh, you may know everyone, but you don't hang out with them on a regular basis.

I like to think of it in terms of the "safety friend." It's much easier to be all sociable with everyone else, if you've got the safety friend to touch base with occasionally.

On the other hand, I may have just been ridiculously tired last night, which is very likely. When I'm tired, I tend toward painfully introverted.

Either way, everyone there was very nice. Hopefully, my being there last night will pave the way for future connections.

No comments: