Monday, June 12, 2006

Hearts in Atlantis (A time, a place, a thing)

So I just finished reading Kyle/That Other Guy's most recent post, and I highly recommend it for any of you out there who wonder why any American would be interested in the World Cup, or, as they say in Germany, die Weltmeisterschaft. Don't worry, it isn't a big, long article about how soccer is awesome. It's more of a thoughtful note on the startling way an event and a time can have a profound effect upon our lives.

It may have been coincidental that I enjoyed an unrelated but equally as significant experience in my life that summer, but who can say? What I'm interested in is your stories. I want to hear about 'that time' when you suddenly realized that nothing would be the same. Perhaps it was the moment you realized you were an adult now. Perhaps it was the summer you and a group of friends developed an amazing fascination with the card game Hearts (not my favorite stephen king book).

Whatever it is, my guess is that it should be linked with something. Kyle's time was linked with Friedel (the awesome bald goalkeeper whose matchup w/ Oli Kahn was a thing of beauty). My time is irrevocably linked with a summer in the mountains of bavaria.

Anyone? (BTW, this journey MUST have happened at least a year ago. Otherwise, it's too close and cannot yet be counted yet)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Bishniak said...

You want a "my life will never be the same" post, well here goes.

My divorce. It showed me I have strength in reserve to perservere through what can be lightly called "emotionally trying" period of time. Gave me confidence that I can handle tougher things now.... like children.

Anonymous said...

That point for me is easy..it's when my brother died. I suddenly realized that people I know do die and that I will too someday. It's what got me into Psychology and what prompted my whole "nun" phase. It was a very existenial moment b/c I suddenly lost all meaning and sense in life. But going through that has changed me and made me see things very differently.