Monday, May 15, 2006

Moving On. Facing up to the truth that is time to part. giving way to the...

Alright, so I lied. I'm gonna blog whenever I want, because that's what I do. I enjoy expressing my thoughts, and this blog helps me to coherently sum them up. And boy do I have a doozy of a few tonight.

First, I went to PR's house tonight, and I've gotta say: pretty impressive, especially for a starterhome/ bachelor pad.

Also, the only way to watch kung fu is in high-def. That should be some kind of law.

While there I discovered that Aimee had recently returned from her Cali sojourn. Talking to her was pretty neat. She's grown up quite a bit since her freshman year of high school. Perhaps this shouldn't surprise me?


And now on to the meat and potatoes of this post. So I went and watched a rained out baseball game recently, when I had a moment of realization. I saw a very pretty girl that I hadn't seen in an extremely long time who I once had a crush on, and I just walked by.

Later, when asked why I just walked by, I came up with a reason beyond simply "I can be very shy." And the more I thought about it, the more confident I felt in my response.

It does no good to revisit the past.

We live in a society where one single dismissal equals an eternity of dismissal. Relationships like those of Ross and Rachel do not happen anymore, if they ever did. I want to say that men would probably be very happy if these kinds of relationships did happen, because then I could blame the whole thing on women, but I don't think that would be very effective, true, or realistic.

The fact of the matter is that the only time any of us are willing to turn back the clock and give a previously dismissed person a chance is when either A) we once had a crush on that person or B) that person has changed so much as to be nearly unrecognizable as their old selves (and this must be change in a good way).

As far as I can tell, neither of these principals extend onto me, and, as such, there is no reason to concern myself with old woulda-coulda flames.


Anyway, that's my thought of the night. Here's a lesson to ally you HTGBWETers out there. It took a school of hard knocks that lasted many years before I finally learned this lesson.

She wasn't interested two months ago. She's not interested now. She isn't remarkably special, and she isn't worth it. There's that old phrase, "Her loss." Well, to that I say: maybe, maybe not. The only thing we do know that is REALLY isn't yours.

There are billions of people in this world, and we're all of us more alike than two chimps from different tribes at the zoo.

There are a hell of a lot of other people out there. Go find them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how this completely relates other than the comment on how we're more alike than chimps from different zoos got me thinking again. Anyhow, what I was going to say was that the other day I saw this gal that I could have sworn up and down was a friend of mine I used to work with in KS. The only difference was one she was a bit heavier and two a mother. If it wasn't for the fact that I knew it wasn't my long lost friend because she couldn't have had that old of a child, I would still think it was her. So my thought was if we see people that look like other people we know and sometimes the similarities are so striking, what are the odds there is a person walking the Earth as we speak that doesn't look practically like our twin? And how weird would that be if we ran into them?

Nathan said...

I've run into my twin like 10 times. For some reason, my features are really common. In fact, the phenomenon has become so common for me that it's been given a name. "Nate Sightings."

The most recent example of this happened in the LA region, when my old montana state buddy sean saw a "me" and took a camera phone pic.

I gotta say. It was amazing. He didn't explain what the pic was at first, so my first question was, "When did you take this of me?"

Yup. It was that bad.

Kathleen said...

I wonder where my twin is?

v said...

Without woulda-coulda, what would we waste time worrying about?

Nick said...

So what you're saying is that I have to grow a goatee by the time you get to Lawrence so we can claim to be twins, right?

Anonymous said...

Just wondering who else would be scared if I ever found my twin?

KU Mommy said...

I found my twin Senior year of High school in Forensics. Or at least that's what Ms. Gillette Suchan said. I didn't think she looked that much like me.

KU Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.