Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Beauty and the Geek

There totally is social strata. And to that point, the tv series Beauty and the Geek offends me. (and I would like to point out that I dont watch it, and everything I know about it comes from seeing previews during other shows I watch and from watching The Soup) It annoys me that people think that these guys should change so they can hook up with these moronic girls! It's the girls who should change, and by change I mean become smarter. They are idiots, and the boys/geeks should be looking for someone in their "strata" because despite the fact that these girls are pretty, they are morons. And really, once you're done with the shagging, you want someone you can talk to. Or at least, I do. - Sara

Holy cow! I'm writing a lot today. Ok, before I talk about Beauty and the Geek, I want to mention that I also posted on the topic of Releasing the Fish for all you HTGBWET afficionados out there. It's a fun read. In fact, you should check it out before reading this post.

Are you reading it?

I'm waiting.

Ok. Good to see you got back so quickly. I also posted more chapters to my story, but you don't need to read those.

Now I could spend the next hour talking about not judging a book by its cover, but instead let me just talk about the show Beauty and the Geek.

I, for one, am a big fan. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, figuring it for a ridiculous version of the Average Joe, but then I watched the first episode last year and was startled to discover exactly what the point of the show was.

It has nothing to do with making matchs, love, dating, or any of those other stupid reality shows out there. It's all about socially apt but intellectually challenged women teaching socially inept men a little about human interaction, and brilliant but socially inept men teaching women a little about the intellectual world.

At the end no one gets together. No one falls in love. No one is supposed to. The only real goal of the show is to become a more well rounded individual. Sara was correct with her comment, that the girls should become smarter, but she was wrong to think that the guys on the show should not try to change as well.

I mean, honestly, shouldn't growth in areas that truly challenge us be the goal of every individual? Last season I really identified with a lot of those so-called geeks, because not too long ago I knew exactly where they were coming from. Hell, there is a bit of me that still knows. By the end of last season I was cheering for those geeks who had conquered some fears and learned some of the minutia of social interaction, and I was frustated by the geeks who rejected it all and decided to continue living in their shells.

To an extent I felt the same way about the women, but I've never been a dim person, so I don't really identify with them. It was certainly nice to see a few of them demonstrate a level of intelligence I never would have predicted at the shows onset, though.

If one followed the previews and previous experience alone, this is a show that could be easily shrugged aside as more "reality" tripe from the idiot networks. But I assure you, it is not. It is a show with heart, warmth, and understanding. It is a show about growth and learning. And, at the end, it is a show that you think may actually be a bit more real than you had ever expected.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have watched one episode of Beauty and the Geeks and I didn't like it, not for social reasons, but because it bored me. Therefore, I have nothing particularly enlightening or intellectual to say about the issue. Other than, most of those girls were pretty stupid and the dudes seemed pretty sheltered. I feel sorry for them all.

Anonymous said...

Also, it's a "social experiment" from Ashton Kutcher....not exactly the most intellectually stimulating man on the planet.

And I refuse to watch reality tv (unless it's the bbc's Changing Rooms, I'm in love with Handy Andy) after FOX cancelled Firefly and replaced it with Joe Millionare. I recently tried to give FOX the benefit of the doubt and watched the awesome show Arrested Development, as well as a pretty good show called Kitchen Confidential. But I once again had my heart broken when they were cancelled....for Skating with Celebrities.

Nathan said...

Well good. I'm totally cool with badmouth shows for actual reasons (e.g. fox sucks, I didn't like any of the people, and all reality shows are terrible). It's when we start talking down on a show I like for imagined reasons that I get all crazy.

Anonymous said...

I only watched part of one episode and all I could think of was that one of the women's occupations was that of LifeSize Barbie Doll model..who does that? I mean, I'm sure she makes tons more than I do, and she was very pretty but still..anyway...I watched it because it was sort of like a car wreck. I couldn't turn away, and yet, because I"ve only watched part of one episode I can't comment on anything good or bad other than to say - a DOLL MODEL!!! Who gets into that kind of work? I mean, is that a goal? How do you apply? On the whole, I dislike reality tv. There, that's all.

Anonymous said...

Ok, never watched the show either b/c I thought it looked dorkous...and the only time I subject myself to those shows are when Matt has the remote (ex. Jackass or Viva la Bam, why?). But if the Barbie doll was life size wasn't her measurement so outragous that she couldn't stand correctly anyhow...and really what gigs would you get to have that as your profession? I'm left all confuzzled by that.

Joel said...

I've heard Arrested Development might come back on Showtime. I hope it's true. Not sure though.