Saturday, February 25, 2006

Nathan's 6 Month Dystopia

So I was talking to Kristi yesterday, and then I had an unrelated chat with my mom tonight about the unacknowledged "other" smart group in our class at andale. You know the one? Dustin, Luke, John May, Amanda, and those other folks?

Anyway, all of this made me a little reflective. It's a good thing too. Otherwise that car would never have seen me.

...

Yeah, not my best joke.

Anyway, I started to think about where we all are right now, and I had a horrible moment of realization. We've all moved on. Sure. We've maintained contact. At holidays we get together. We leave messages on each others blogs. But each and every one of us has created these core groups of other individuals. We all have new, different support groups that don't relate to one another.

As a perfect example, aside from Dean and Julie's hubby, I've never met any of the significant others among the female members of the group. How bizarre is that?

I think what really drives this point home for me is the fact that I don't really have one of those social groups right now. I have internet friends. I have friends back in montana. I have old high school friends who I see about as often as I used to when I went to montana. I have old KU friends, who I almost never see.

And that's about it. You have no idea how strange this is for me. I'm the on who is supposed to be the social animal with 350 friends, all of whom I can hang out with on a whim. Now I'm an outsider. I could probably try to join up with K-dog's friends (that's you, Kristi) or KT's friends (that's you, Katie), but there would always be that weird knowledge, that thought about me in the back of peoples minds, "Oh, there's such-and-such's friend."

Of course, in 6 months, all of this will be a moot point. I'll be at whatever school I'm going to next and will quickly develop a close-knit cadre of buddies. But for 6 months I'm gonna just be this guy on the outside, who no one wants to get really buddy-buddy with, because he'll be gone in such a short time.

I tell you. It's a strange thought. Maybe my little rant last week about how I hate my co-workers was more important than I thought. People should normally be able to make one or two friends at work. I've made none. I'm not in any organizations. I have no other resources.

How odd.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you move up to KC, you can hang out with me anytime!

Anonymous said...

Yes you have!!!! You know my hubby; you went to school with mine dorkous. Matt as in Amos :P As for the outsider feeling, I totally understand that one. I'll contribute it to moving around so much and all but even in HS I felt that way, still do. Hell, I've lived out in CA for almost 2 yrs and really there isn't a single person that is what I'd call a support system. A few wives I 'talk to' but not talk to if that makes sense and the couple guys that Matt works with that I know well they are just that, Matt's co-workers not my friends. Anyhow...I'm going to shut up now.

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend is super good-looking, but I guess you don't know him either.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Also, John May is a first year medical student at KU. He didn't get in his first 2 tries. So much for a $40,000 a year Notre Dame education. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. Nice guy, John May.

Erin