Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Fanaticism: I hate crazy people.

Alright, it has been a secondary mission of mine over the years to try to push people away from fulfilling the negative stereotypes to which they were born. For example, I wish fat white guys wouldn't be hicks and/or evil CEOs.

As such, this whole going freaking nuts thing concerning a couple political cartoons made by the danes really depresses me. I mean, come on. So some cartoonists drew a politically oriented image of Mohammed. Only a crazy person would riot, burn down buildings, make fire bombs, and generally go insane with rage.

The proper thing to do, if you are really that offended, is to strike back in a like way. One islamic newspaper had a drawing of ann frank sleeping with hitler. This is close, but I think it still doesn't do the job.

For one thing, the Danes tend not to be Jewish. Drawing an ann frank/hitler cartoon is like punching your sister because your brother made you angry.

If I were these wild eyed islamic folks, I might draw a picture of Jesus being anally raped by the danish president, or something. Except it's possible that depictions of Jesus are also not supposed to be made in the islamic religion, as he was also supposed to be a prophet.

I read one statement from some Iranian fellow that said they needed to fight back against these negative portrayals of islam in the worldwide press, which is why the protests were happening. The thing is, I'm reasonably certain that most of the world was starting to feel a lot less negative about the muslim religion up until the crazy fanatics started burning things down again.

OVER SOME PICTURES!

Maybe it's just my humanist nature that doesn't understand. I could easily see something similar happening in the states if a major newspaper published a picture of Bush raping Jesus. How many crazies would come out of the woodwork to try to burn down that newspaper? I guess I just don't understand fanaticism.

Jesus taught us all to turn the other cheek. For goodness sakes, he died because he was working so hard at turning the other cheek. It's strange to me that we live in a world where so many in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religion consider it perfectly acceptable to go against everything our religious forebearers taught us out of a sense of fanatic pride. "Don't turn the other cheek, burn down a building." "Disregard Jesus and exclaim with total certainty exactly where homosexuals are going when they die." "Pride is far more important than humility."

The sad man within me who wishes so many humans weren't fulfilling their negative stereotypes is crying a little bit. The big fat fun guy on the outside is mostly just embarrassed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, whoever you are, you talk to much. Almost as much as Nate. What kind of job did you get, Nate?

Erin

Anonymous said...

ugh, I used the wrong "too". Sorry!

Anonymous said...

I mean, did the Crusades teach us nothing?

Anonymous said...

The whole thing depresses me b/c there are always going to be stupid people and getting upset about it changes nothing and only succeeds in giving yourself an ulcer. I am also interested in knowing what kind of a job Nathan is looking at (and yes I did end that sentence with a preposition b/c I didn't want to erase the whole thing and put the at in between knowing and what...Deal:)

Nathan said...

I feel that hanging participles and split infinitives are no longer the grammatical no-no they once were.

But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

I love you guys!