Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Coalitions of the Willing

Following up my rant from the other day, in which I discussed the notion that the modern republican isn't the conservative that I knew and loved, I've come across an article that discussing the interesting nature of american politics in the two part-system.

Check it out.

It's major thesis is that the democratic and the repubilcan parties are NOT parties in the traditional sense of the word (which is better seen in our smaller splinter parties, like the green party, or in European parties), but they are rather party COALITIONS, which makes more sense the more I think about it. Consider a paragraph from the article.

When Bush looked like he could do no wrong, Repubs were glad to latch onto his coattails and be the Party of Bush. They supported what he supported, no matter how abhorrent the idea was to them (budget deficits, anyone?). But now that he's not doing so well, we're seeing many more independent-minded Repubs. His coalition is falling apart. But they’re not splitting off as individuals, but rather within the specific factions that they were always in. The Social Conservatives feel used and ignored; the Fiscal Conservatives feel betrayed; and the Neo-Conservatives just feel stupid. And within these groups are various sub-factions which have their own ideas of what needs to be done. But these groups always existed as implicit parties within the Republican coalition. And the only thing that kept them silent was the lure of success.
My rant from yesterday seems to fit well with this idea. My words could be seen as an argument that fical conservatives (the ones I was calling true conservatives) should feel angry and betrayed by the other Republican groups.

Anyway, if you get a chance, try skimming it. At times it can get a little boring, but for the most part it's really very nifty. (It also puts a different spin on recent actions performed by McCain, if you've been paying attention and choose to see it that way.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the never ending story but mostly because I was in love with Bastain...both of them but especially the second one which was the greatest love of my life, Jonathan Brandis. Nathan, I considered reading the political article but then realized that it would suck and put me to sleep so wisely decided against it. I would just like to say that Republicans rule and Democrats Drool!

Anonymous said...

Also, I re-read your previous blog and finally found the Never Ending Story reference. Nice...

Nathan said...

Kay, you and people like you are the reason I would make a terrible politician. Your immunity to reason, conversation, discussion, and alternate ideas makes me want to fly off the deep end.

It's a good thing you moan so loud when I break out the naughty paddle, otherwise there would no future for us.

p.s. I'm tired of leather, we should move to something more friendly.

Nathan said...

Oh, and sometimes I suppose I'm not too bad at interweaving my own words with the words of others. That can be a fun game, as long as you own up and give the real credit out in the end.

Anonymous said...

How dare you! I am not immune to reason! I just ignore it when it doesn't suit my opinions:) Besides, I'm just a live and let live kind of a person. I realize that makes other people annoyed, but I just don't care enough about the world to actively fight all the bad shit; it would be exhausting. There's too much of it. I know, I know, that's bad, but what can I say? I'm just a bad girl...and I can be quite bad when I want to be;)

Joel said...

I think the major political parties have always been somewhat that way. Selecting a president in the past was even more of an appeasement process than it is today, and that's really saying something. I would guess that in the 1800s, while two parties still basically dominated, there were more factions and more independent factions. A major part of elections was pulling them to one side or another. I'm not taking the time to look any of this up and offer real examples, but I've read enough in different places to get that impression.