Tuesday, April 25, 2006

confidence and prostitution

I hate to point to other sources of insight, but sometimes the world throws me these bones, and I don't know what else to do with them.

I watched yet another episode of How I Met Your Mother, and it was pretty good. The storyline wasn't as awesome as last week, but the message was just as important.

Warning: about to give it all away:

So the main character guy gets set up on this date with a hooker by Barney, who is the man. And things are going REALLY WELL, because, obviously, she is a hooker.

Eventually, Ted (the main character) and the hooker go up to this hotel room, and ted says he can't sleep with a prostitute.

Meanwhile, Barney reveals that "ha ha" she ISN'T a prostitute.

Moral of the story: Confidence. Ted wasn't worried about what to say or anything, because he knew they were gonna get together. Now if he could just bring that kind of game every time: bamm, he'd be on fire.

It's an interesting thought and one I'll have to keep in mind. It's kinda like shooting an arrow. Don't shoot at the target, shoot through and past the target. This also works in pool. Don't worry about the ball you're trying to sink. Worry about where the cue is going after you sink the ball.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous, I love that show and I never get to watch it because I have supervision on Mondays until eight. Hmm, must invest time to figure out how to set my VCR...Also, I don't want to find you some random chick to fall off the train with. I want you to step off confidently into the arms of someone who isn't a virtual stranger. Besides, all I have are guy friends or chicks in relationships here...

Nathan said...

An interesting point. I shall keep my mind on that.

v said...

I can tell you, as a shy man who tried this approach.

It's absolutely true that it works.

It's not what you have or what you look like, but how you own it.

Kathleen said...

How you own it? As a girl, I am confused, is this guy speak or something that everyone can do? Also, if it works...go for it Felix and "own it." :-)

v said...

Confidence.

It's all about confidence.

Another way of looking at it is, if you believe it, it will be.

Or, the deluded shall rule the world.

(Um, doesn't he already?)

Over the last year or so I've been trying to come out of my shell. Whenever I force myself to be confident, optimistic, things go my way. I met some great women last year, had some great experiences. Totally different than the last time I was out in the dating world as a single guy.

As soon as I had a woman fully and finally break my spirit (January) and I stopped being optimistic, things started sucking hard.

So...

I look the same, still as smart as ever, what changed? Attitude.

As soon as I'm over her (I thought I was, but then I went and called her today -- what a moron!), I'll be back to applying the "you want it, you got it" theory of life.

Joel said...

None of us are as cool as we need to be to bag the chick we want. It's all about faking it, which is confidence. It's about representing pocket aces when you have jack crap.

Humans, we're a very trusting sort. We buy what someone's is selling, be it on the card table or in the dating world.