Sunday, April 09, 2006

Good times and some discomfort

So I went to Kristi's pre-Marriage party (what else do you call it?). It was more fun than I thought it would be. I was a little worried that the only person I knew there would be Kristi and maybe Julie, and, I mean, those aren't great odds. But it turns out Val, PD, and Kyle were there, so it was all good.

Anyway, as I said, I had a good time, except for about a 3 minute stretch, when the good time turned to weird and awkward (which is one of those neat words whose spelling matches its meaning). This was when I (in my friendly manner) tried to introduce myself to Kristi's soon-to-be sister-in-law Christi.

I know. Weird.

Anyway, I introduced myself, and, as far as I can tell, she got really hostile, really fast. Not "screw you" hostile, but the kind of hostile when a girl who thinks she's about 20 rungs up the ladder from you is pissed because you try to talk to her at a bar.

Anyone with me on that? All of you guys should be nodding your heads at this moment. It's a very terrible moment when you get that "You are the scum that grows under dirt" look. If you're actually out to meet women, it totally wrecks the night. Luckily, I was not.

I don't know. Maybe it was a misunderstanding. Maybe she's just like that, or maybe she was tired of dealing with guys like me. She was excruiatingly nice to Joe a couple seconds later, but that might just be because they all know one another now.

Like I said. I don't know. It was really uncomfortable though. Especially because I lack that boundless self-confidence that allows me to shrug those things off.

huh.

Anyway, all the rest of the night was a great time. There was a pretty funny competition among the 3 major couples of the evening (Kristi and beau, his parents, her parents). Kristi, Kyle, Val, and I always slip into instant relaxed communcation. I ate cookies, which I really should never do. And there was a funny picture taken involving a balloon and a surprised Nathan.

Also, I met Stan Finger. I know. THE Stan Finger. Stan the Hand. Remember when I mentioned that I talked to AG, and I used a specific word to describe the odd feeling I got out of that experience? I got the same feeling.

I just wish I could remember the word. It's like "odd," but I'm totally blanking. I only remember that Erin got irritated by it and used the word "explosive." I think it starts with a vowel. Like the word "erratic," but obviously different with a different meaning. It might also sound like "equivical." Or it might sound like none of those.

One thing I am sure of. A is WAY more attractive than Stan the Hand.

12 comments:

A Daisy Girl said...

Natey-B - I am very sad that I was not mentioned in your post! :( This is my sad face

Nathan said...

I'm sorry, Lisa. Usually my posts have very little to do with what actually happened and more to do with some point I'm trying to get across.

I had not anticipated it before hand (and therefore didn't think to write about it afterwards - It's weird how that works), but you definitely fit into the category of wonderful people who made me feel comfortable, relaxed, and generally happy.

Joel said...

You should have kicked the Hand in his gooey snatch.

A Daisy Girl said...

all forgiven:) You should feel welcome to hang out with us in awkwardness whenever you want:)

Joel said...

------- SPOILER -------

If you haven't seen Sunday's West Wing and care about what happens, don't read this post.






















Ok, so Santos won, but Vinick was a bad ass. I'd of voted for Vinick in a second. It's cool how they actually wrote the characters to be just about equals and to each have actual strengths. Vinick was a pimp because he was SO straight forward and he was very, very right about a lot of stuff. He did a very good job defending Republican ideas on a show and to a market that is mostly against such ideas.

And then he's too much of a badass to even contest the results. What a stud.

Kathleen said...

Wow..Nathan (fe) I'm glad you had fun at the party - wish I could have gone. And Joel, I am very confused about your comment.

Joel said...

I'm not sure what there is to not understand. It's about Sunday's episode of West Wing. If you haven't watched West Wing ... I still don't understand what there is to not understand.

KU Mommy said...

Nate,

It was fantabulous to see you again. Isn't it strange how you, Val, Kyle and I always just sorta get along like that even though we see eachother like twice a year? I think it has to do with late night IHOP runs and the like.

Again... thanks for coming to the party! You should hang out more often.

P.S. I think Lisa meant "non-awkwardness" but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Nathan said...

J-Rock, I think Katie may have been referring to the gooy snatch comment.

Joel said...

Someone should kick her in the gooey snatch.

just kidding.

Kathleen said...

Yes, I do get confused about the gooey snatch.

Anonymous said...

Dammit, I thought you stripped in those 3 minutes of awkwardness.

-gilbert