Monday, April 03, 2006

Moving On

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. Somehow I always find myself having ignored or avoided my blog until late at night, and lately, late at night has found me a tired, cranky old man.

To begin, I'm found of phrases that have to do with time fixing everything. "It'll all be alright in the morning" is a good one. Also, "Wait a week and it won't seem that bad." That one has a lot to do with tests and poor timing.

I firmly believe in this notion. Pain in all its forms is a temporary thing. Sadness, difficult decisions, worries, unpleasantness... all of these may be conquered by chugging along and relaxing just a little bit.

This law school thing seems to fit that mold fairly well. When I began, I was nervous about the whole deal. I'd gotten my LSAT score in, but was REALLY short on time to get the necessary applications out and had no idea if I would get the requisite references from my various professors. However, I continued working at it all, asked the correct questions, put minute amounts of pressure in the proper joints, and otherwise didn't worry about it.

And so we are where we are today. I've been accepted by two law schools and been put on the waiting list for a third. I'm generally happy with all three, though displeased with the monetary situation to some small degree.

As such, I've made a 90% certain decision regarding the future Nathan J Thomas M.S., J.D.

I'm virtually certain that I'll be attending KU law next year with an emphasis in international trade, business, and tax law. If all goes well, I'll be a fine upstanding lawyer in a few years time whose morals aren't too sacrificed (primarily because I believe law defines morals in national discourse). Of course, this means that I think a few laws need to be overturned (e.g. death penalty and stupider california laws), but I digress.

Why KU, you ask? Well, Temple and KU are pretty close together in terms of awesomeness, though Temple is slightly higher, but Temple also happens to be WAY more expensive. To the point that it doesn't seem worth it, especially considering my financial situation post graduation.

Meanwhile, I haven't been accepted into William and Mary yet. Odds are that, while I may or may not ever be accepted, if I am I won't get my fellowship and therefore probably won't be able to afford W&M. I'll agree to remain on the waiting list, just to see, but I've essentially ruled them out.

And so here I am. KU, the only school that didn't waive my application fee, has become numero Uno. And, after everything I saw on friday, I couldn't be happier about it. I like the mildly competitive atmosphere. I like the camraderie. I like the opportunities and possibilities.

Now all I have to do is get it all right. To end up where I want to be, I'm going to have to work my ASS off for the next 3 years. For the first time in my life, I'm going to have to try all the way through. We aren't talking slow improvement over 3 years. I want a 4.0 after the first semester, and I want a 4.0 after the last semester. I want to be a member of and editor for the Kansas Law Review. I want to be involved in a Federal Court Clerk externship. And I want to feel accomplished in everything I do.

It's an odd attitude for me. I wonder if I'll manage to keep it up.

Beyond all that, I only have one goal for the next three years. I want to meet Her. That's right. I want to meet RUTH BADER GINSBERG!

Just kidding. Actually, I would enjoy meeting Ruth Bader Ginsberg, as I like her the most of all the current justices, but that's not who I'm talking about. If the past three years were a hiatus from dating, making sweet love, and finding a general life partner, I want the next three years to be... Um, whatever the opposite of that is.

It may be time to set aside crushes and fear and all those other things that have been so much fun for the past 11 years. It may also be time to stop living on couches and begging for loose change.

How strange it might all be.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yay Felix! I hope you're happy at KU and also, I want to meet Ruth Bader-Ginsberg too! Maybe someday (sigh) and I am absolutely positive you can do all the things you want to do - I think you'll make an excellent editor of the law review. If I weren't so damn scared of public speaking and being assertive and confident I would go to law school and do constitutional or civil rights law and work at the ACLU or as a Supreme Court clerk (yeah, right! And then I will invent a brand new space shuttle engine that runs on air!) Anyway you'll do great!!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome.

Anonymous said...

mgbmnbv

Nathan said...

I'm sorry. The only gibberish allowed on this site is htgbwet. You, anonymous, have been overruled.

Anonymous said...

Sweet, now I can be your couch-dude-in-residence, wherever you may end up.

Want to "meat" Ginsburg eh?

-gilbert

Anonymous said...

yay! I'm super excited that you're most likely going to KU law school...any chance you'll specialize in psychology liability instead of business crap and be my personal advisor. Also, when can I come up and party with you and catch an OU/KU game?