Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Nothing Good Ever Happens After 2 AM

As has been known to happen, I've seen a show/movie/song/etc., been put into a contemplative state by it, and am now considering the message as applied to my life.

Tonight I watched the most recently episode of How I met your Mother. The title? Nothing Good Ever Happens After 2 AM.

At its best, How I met your Mother can almost compete with scrubs, which is saying an awful lot. I don't think it's ever as good as scrubs, but it has situations that I can more easily identify with, and that is a major factor.

Back to my post.

How I Met Your Mother is correct. Some of the worst decisions I've ever made happened after two AM. These were the crimes of passion. After 2 AM I left the bundle of flowers. After 2 AM, I left the voice message that initiated the downward spiral that effectively ruined one of the best friendships of my life. After 2 AM I officially decided to make the phone call that was preceded by the theft of a hat on a bus (that I just recently was reminded of, by the way).

These decisions and actions resulted in virtual nightmares of pain and sadness. They drove people away. They left me feeling more empty and alone than I have ever felt. They are the original reason I started saying everything will be better in the morning.

And yet, though they were not good, and though they so negatively affected my life, I can't say that I regret them. In the book that I'm writing the true adventure begins after 2 AM.

Heck, in my actual life the stories, the real, forever, honest-to-God STORIES begin after 2.

On Kristi's blog I said that people don't want to hear about calm happiness. I was right. People want to hear about pain, regret, loss, and sadness, because those are the emotions of power. Those are the emotions that bring us all together. Those are the emotions we remember deep, deep down, beyond the Nothing, where darkness travels faster than light and these hands look like such strong hands.

Because I made mistakes after 2 AM, I am who I am today. Some might argue that that isn't a great thing, and there would be a point in that argument, but that just doesn't matter.
I am who I am, and I am glad for it.


P.S. This post itself was written after 2am, and, as such, readers may not hold me liable for the obvious logic gaps and lack of effective prose. Nothing good ever happens after 2 am.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how I met your mother! I started watching because I love Alyson Hannigan, but I stayed for the funny. And Barney. You can go to barney's blog on cbs.com, which i totally recommend.

Nathan said...

Sara, are you telling me you did not get that movie reference?

Ok. new addition: Whoever can figure out the movie reference I made (and, I suppose, locate it in the first place) gets an imaginary prize to be determined later.

Joel said...

Oddly enough I saw that show last night for the first time ever and liked the title as well.

It comes across sort of like Scrubs, which is very good.

Yeah, crap that happens after 2am almost always sucks. But not always. One out of 100 times great crap happens after 2 am. Most of the it'll-still-be-funny-in-10-years stuff happens after 2 am.

But mostly it sucks. I wrecked my car after 2 am. I've made some TERRIBLE phone calls after 2 am.

I've had a lot of the moments that you talk about, moments that no matter how terribly they turned out, basically had to happen, but I've also had a lot of bad post-2 am moments that didn't have to happen and still sucked. I.e., New Years 2005, just as one shining example.

But we go to IHOP after 2 am. We got lost in Wichita that one night that we drove by the Quickshop 27 times after 2 am. Shit, that might have been after 4 am. I might have met Lacey after 2 am, or it at least became apparent there was something there after 2 am.

So I wouldn't say 2 am is the cutoff for fun either.

Nathan said...

yes, that was an interesting New years. Though, I mean, it wasn't the worst thing ever. And, aside from that one moment of total foolishness, I thought it was a pretty good night.

Nathan said...

Oh. And, honestly, has going to IHOP ever actually been a good idea?

Anonymous said...

I-hop rocks and How I Met Your Mother rocks. And after 2 am is only bad b/c that's when the drinking stops and the horrible throwing up starts

Anonymous said...

Neverending Story yo.

Garod

Anonymous said...

I think the best decision you ever made after 2 am....Perkins?

-gilbert

Anonymous said...

And the subsequent Crying Sisters Circle motif which has since reached legendary status in Bozeman history.