Saturday, January 21, 2006

The fictions in our head

I think it's possible that the last 20 minutes of the christmas special of The Office, made by those crazy brits across the sea, are the best 20 minutes of television ever written.

Of course, in order for them to really do their job, you have to slog through the rest of it, but that isn't too bad.

But, back to the main point, I don't know if I have ever felt more joyful and hopeful than I did when I saw Dawn walk back in. If you've seen it, I think you'll know exactly what I mean. It's amazing. It's that affirmation of life that so many priests try to explain every sunday, but never quite manage. It is the pure, unadulterated joy of knowing that, once you get past all of the horribleness and anger and frustration and pain and fear of loneliness, out there is a moment of wonder and relief that makes everything else worth it.

Of course, this is television. That kind of thing doesn't happen in real life. I doubt I will ever experience it. To quote Shakespeare "Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." But that doesn't mean I can't dream about it.

You know, I don't remember where I heard this, but I once caught the argument for Santa Clause. Specifically, the question was why do we lie to our children about things like Santa Clause and elves and fairies and magic. The answer was perfect. We lie about those things to teach children about the bigger lie of truth, liberty, justice, and morality. In reality, all of those things are just fictions in our head. They are stories we place upon events so that the world makes sense. But can you imagine a world without them?

I don't ever want to.

And so, if we're going to believe in truth, liberty, justice, morality, and all those other things, why shouldn't we believe in love and a happy ending as well?

I'll probably re-post this on Valentine's Day, but I wanted to talk about it now, while it was still fresh in my head.

Oh, one other thing. I once got a girl a box of chocolates on valentine's day, because she didn't have a boyfriend at the time, and I thought she deserved one. Even if it isn't me, I think she still does. Boy, can she dance.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we bleeding heart liberals need to give up on Absolute Universal Global morality. Right here in this room there shall be morality and freedom and democracy! By god no one will take it away.

Anonymous said...

ITS ALL A LIE ANYWAY! your nieve comments barely deserve a retort. Its the illusion of those in power, that they are benign, democratic and free loving. And you, as the dominate force in the room, are freedom loving, your own freedom! As soon as your "comrades" speaks up and asks for another slice of bread. . .

Anonymous said...

All i'm saying is that we must focus upon creating our own utopias within our own homes. On a global level this is far more important than hoping that everyone will play nice. Not every household is a stagnant totalitarian regime as you imply.

Conquer yourself before you start eyeballing the damn world.

Anonymous said...

typical idiocy, you say we must wait for that flowery date which upon you have reached some zen before you dare help another.

There is no zen!

Let anyone who's stupid enough to live in the desert under a dictator STARVE.

Lets just turn Iraq into nuclear glass and glare at anyone who doesn't think it't just.

Anonymous said...

What do you hope to accomplish with such brutality? a war between the have's and have nots?

the last time that happened Marie Antoinette had her head chopped off by the peaseants.

An ideological change is required within ourselves before we just go willy nilly bearing our big stick and quiet voice.

Anonymous said...

WE MUST STRIKE FEAR INTO THE HEARTS OF OUR ENEMIES!

Let them hate me, so long as they fear me!

Nathan said...

Um. I'm not sure what's going on. Was I just spammed? Who in the world is this?

Anonymous said...

yay for spam

-mike

Anonymous said...

that was crazy spam, anyway. No one ever spams me like that! :-(