Sunday, March 26, 2006

political boredom

Alright, so I broke down and entered a profile into My Space. You can check it out here.

In other news I'm visiting Lawrence this coming Friday to go to the admitted students day at the KU Law school. That should be pretty fun.

But enough about me, let's talk about me. (Kinda like "the queen is dead, long live the queen") But in a less direct route. I've decided that I don't have a cause right now. Most of the major political topics of the moment feel stupid and/or tame.

For example, this whole port-ownership fiasco seems really stupid to me. The workers will be the same. The cargo will be the same. The majority of the managers will be the same. The only real difference is that the profits are going from an British company to a Middle Eastern company.

I mean, it isn't even like the profits are suddenly going overseas. They weren't staying in america in the first place.

If you were looking for a reason to be upset about security in the ports, why not consider that the vast (like, over 90%) majority of containers are not inspected. Items could be smuggled in daily, and no one would ever know.

But no, we all have to pull the idiotic chicken hawk routine again and again, and go after a trivial bush white house action. On the other hand, I guess the populace really digs into this less meaningful stuff, as the numbers really took an extra nose-dive for bush and co. after this and the illegal wire-tapping fiasco popped up. Take what you can get, I guess.

Honestly, I'm not even all that jazzed about the Iraqi civil war. I mean, honestly, will it be much different than anything going on now? I pretty much doubt it. If it didn't hurt our own oil interests so much, I'd be all for splitting up Iraq into 3 geographical regions and give each group the one they want, along with some constitutionally enforced agreement concerning oil rights.

But that would really mess up our chances to get lots of free (or extremely cheap oil), so that isn't gonna happen either.

All in all, I'm just generally feeling jaded and bored with politics. As such, I put it to you, my faithful commenters, to come up with something for me to give a rats ass about. And please don't mention abortion (either side), creationism, guns, or the separation of church and state. None of those is gonna do the job for me.

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

Felix, That visit at KU sounds cool. I know a political issue that is really big right now, and that's the whole immigration thing - the vote is today for a bill on what to do with illegal immigrants. I haven't paid as much attention as I should, but I always found it hypocritical for people to be against illegal immigrants, since many of our ancestors were, in a technical sense, illegal. And we turned out great! Actually the issue is too unknown for me, but it may be interesting for people to debate upon. And I will try to pay more attention so I can partake.

Bishniak said...

What about Youth in Asia?

or Violins in America?

Kathleen said...

How about whether marijuana should be legalized or homeschooling?

Anonymous said...

I am against aliens...stay in your own damn country! I am also against youth in Asia...I mean, who do they think they are? Damn youth. Only adults in Asia...that's my new cause. Also, violins should be outlawed or at least only allowed on Jewish holidays. As for marijuana being legal; that's just silly talk, and I will not offend my intellect by its discussion. Homeschooling sucks; those poor emotionally stunted children...we should send them to Asia...along with the violins

Anonymous said...

Close the borders! Shoot to kill!

Anonymous said...

by the way, I watched that Ultimate Showdown clip you had posted, and it was Hell-arious:) I had to do the snorty nose laugh thing 'cause I was at the clinic, but if I had been at home, I would've laughed out loud!

Nathan said...

Once again, that link is

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/285267

Seriously, awesome. Sara, you may especially enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Let's talk BOOBIES, Mr. Betzen...