Friday, December 30, 2005

Foot in Mouth disease?

So I want to write about my evening, but I'm afraid of putting my foot so far down my own throat that it'll end up being able to act like my foot again.

Follow? I have an awesome mental image of this.

Anyway, I went to Lawrence, saw the KU - New Orleans game, went to Henry T's, and saw the woman who a person in my fraternity once dubbed the Bosnian Babe.

It's a funny name. I choose to use it to protect the names of the innocent. I also have a friend named Rob. He is not innocent. Hence, I openly use his name.

Now about a year and a half ago some bad things went down, and it seems that time has finally erased all of the unpleasantness from that period of my life. Me and time go way back with that kind of thing. You have no idea how many times I've decided that I had to say SOMETHING RIGHT NOW OR ELSE I'LL NEVER SAY ANYTHING AND THEN I'LL ALWAYS REGRET IT!!!

Oddly, that statement, though often detrimental, still remains true. Though what I wish would happen never does when I do the "saying of something" and some pretty good friendships end for approximately ever, the ones that don't end eventually get stronger, because I don't have THAT thought hanging over my head like a sword on a string (can you identify the Arabian night tale that simile comes from?).

Anyway, all of that horribleness happened. I moved on. After many moons, the friendship tentatively was re-established. And I decided that was it. I did not want to go through that again.

And after tonight I've come to the conclusion that I don't have to. I'm pretty sure I can keep it civil this time around. The crush that existed then has lessened now. I say "lessened," because these kinds of things never really vanish, do they? I mean, there is a reason for them. It's not like that reason changes. The two reasons for this one are still glaringly obvious. Conversation is easy and curly blonde hair.

I am a simple, sad little man. Ask Kay.

Anyway, since that time I discovered that conversation was easy with a lot of women I know/knew/just met/etc. Also, in this age of dying, curly blonde hair isn't that uncommon. Plus, since that time a crucial factor also came into being. I got another crush. That was a short lived crush, but it made the distancing even easier.

So today was the first physical and visual contact in two and a half years, and I think I passed with flying colors. My passions weren't aroused. My deep need for affection did not take flight. I actually checked out another girl in mid-conversation. In general, I'd say I did very well.

The only thing that concerns me is that my mind got all lyrical as I replayed the event in my head later, when the phrase "like a beam of sunlight" appeared as if from the bowels of 2003.

I'm currently writing a story about an unrelated topic. I think I may lay the blame for that thought on my frequent use of simile and metaphor in said story. It's the only explanation I'm willing to accept.

Ok. So that is my thought of the night. Hopefully I managed to keep my foot well away from my mouth.

Oh, and KU won. Rock Chalk!

4 comments:

Joel said...

Bla, KU won, but it was ugly. Just like all their games are this year.

This has to be the year for K-State to win. KU is SO beatable. I don't think we're that good and I hate our coach, but this is the year. Of course we get dicked by the schedule, as usual (our FB team has opened the Big 12 on the road like 9 of the last 10 years) and we play KU at home in March. Go friggen figure. That's about the worst time to play this KU team.

Oh well. At least we're not in a conferece where it's considered front page news if one of theteams makes it to the Sweet 16 (ahem, ahem, MVC)

Anyway, glad the reunion went well. Tonight's your 1 year ya know, one year since you first got trashed.

Ah ... what a night. I think I'm going to the Plaza with Lacey and her friends. I sort of expect it to suck. I think they have free cab rides for the first 13 miles though, and that gets me damn near back out to my apartment.

Joel said...

OH, and you can thank the Broncos, Chiefs fans. We're laying a spaking on the Chargers with our back ups. John Lynch has caused two fumbles in SD's endzone and we're ROLLIN'!!!!

I know, we'll get smashed by Indy, but ... I have a feeling. I don't know. I threw some newspapers on the table today next to my open Bible and the headline "INDY" landed right next to the words "goes down" in the bible (on page 732, if you're looking). I think God's sending a message through my newspaper.

Nathan said...

I'm glad to hear you've got an open bible. It sounds like you have finally found-ah the lord-ah!

I'm a little more concerned about the pittsburge game tomorrow.

Nathan said...

Also, I sort of like interesting noses now.